How can I make my midsection stronger?
When it comes to training your core, don’t just think sit-ups and crunches. Some of the most effective ways to build core strength are through compound movements such as squats, deadlifts, shoulder presses and pull ups.
10 Best Core Exercises for a Stronger Midsection
Having a strong midsection is important for anyone looking to improve overall health and performance. Strengthening and toning your core can help you become more resilient to injury and be better able to perform activities like running and jumping with ease. Core exercises are a fantastic way to achieve this goal, as they focus on the area between your chest and your hip bones.
Here are the 10 best core exercises for a stronger midsection.
1. Plank: Planks are an effective exercise for tightening up your core muscles and building strength. To do a plank, begin by lying on your stomach and placing your forearms and toes on the floor. Your elbows should be directly under your shoulders and your back should be flat. Hold this position for thirty seconds.
2. Quadruped: This is an excellent core exercise, especially great for beginners. Begin by positioning yourself on your hands and knees on a mat. Keep your back flat and your abs tight. Begin to slowly walk your hands forward until your back is almost parallel to the floor. Hold this position for 30 seconds.
3. Bicycles: Bicycles are a great way to strengthen and tone your core muscles. To do this exercise, begin by laying flat on your back with your legs raised in the air. Lift your shoulder blades off the ground and bring one elbow to the opposite knee. Alternate legs as if you were riding a bike. Do 10-15 reps.
4. Russian Twists: Russian twists are a great exercise for toning and strengthening those hard to target areas of your core. Begin by sitting on the floor with your knees bent and feet firmly planted on the ground. Place your arms straight out in front of you and twist from side to side. Do 10-15 reps.
5. Knee Raise/Hip Raise: This is a great exercise to strengthen your entire core and hip muscles. Begin by lying down on your back with your arms stretched out beside you and your legs slightly bent at the knees. Slowly lift your hips off the floor and then bring your knees to your chest, keeping them bent. Do 10-15 reps.
6. Side Plank: For those looking to strengthen their side abdominal muscles, the side plank is an excellent exercise. Begin by lying on your side with your legs straight, resting on your forearm like you would with a regular plank. Lift your upper body off the ground and hold for 30 seconds.
7. Lunges: Lunges are a fantastic exercise for strengthening and toning your core as well as your legs. Begin by standing upright with your feet together. Step forward with one foot, keeping the back leg straight. Lower your body until your front leg is bent at a 90-degree angle. Push back up and repeat.
8. Mountain Climbers: This is an excellent core exercise that targets the entire midsection. Begin by getting into the plank position. Begin to alternate bringing your knees to your chest, like you would if you were climbing a mountain. Do 10-15 reps per side.
9. Supermans: Performing supermans is a great way to target your core and build strength. Begin by lying on your stomach with your arms and legs extended straight out. Move your arms and legs up as if you were soaring like Superman and hold for 10 seconds.
10. V Sits: V sits are an excellent exercise to target your lower abs and hip flexors. Begin by sitting upright on a mat with your legs bent and your feet fully flat. Reach your hands up and then lean back until your back is slightly off the ground. Keep your legs slightly bent the entire time. Do 10-15 reps.
These 10 core exercises are a great way to strengthen and tone your midsection. Incorporate them into your routine and watch your core get stronger and your performance improve.